Saturday, September 4, 2010

It's Not Easy Being Old

This is my conclusion and summation after many years of interviewing elderly men and women, everywhere and anywhere that they would take the time and give me their honest opinions.
Some were on canes, walkers, and in wheelchairs with or without their caregivers and their health aides.  This is my poetry.

It's not easy being old.
It's outrageous and contagious.
So much pain and so much fright.
Gone is gladness, so much sadness.
Restless, sleepless every night.

Body shrinking, looking smaller.
Stretching doesn't make me taller.
Knees are weakening, gait is slow.
Pushed in a wheelchair wherever I go.

Diarrhea, constipation.
Medications, palpitations.
Oh yes indeed! Truth be told.
It's not easy being old.

So now, perhaps you can readily understand that there are many more negative responses than positive statements depending on their present lifestyle and their state of health.

1 comment:

  1. I do understand the many challenges of aging, especially when good health wanes. Because of that, I especially appreciate it when I have the pleasure of spending time with an elderly person who finds a way to successfully cope with those challenges and enjoy life playing the cards they have been dealt. Unfortunately, too many young people suffer early in life also. There's too much physical and substance abuse, too much hurt, and not enough love and support. Too many soldiers come home from war permanently debilitated. Life isn't for sissies at any age.

    ReplyDelete